Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fuel Polishing System

I built a fuel polishing (filtering) system for Island Queen. I had two Racor fuel filters that were already on the boat. One was for the main engine and one for the old generator that I removed last year. I used those two filters and a series of valves so I can now circulate the fuel from either tank through the filter to clean it. I can also move fuel from one tank to the other. It also allows me to route fuel to the main engine through either filter without shutting off the engine. If we are running and a filter starts to get clogged I can reroute the fuel to the other filter while I replace the clogged filter. I also installed a vacuum gauge to alert me that a filter is starting to clog rather than waiting till the engine begins starving for fuel. I installed an electric fuel pump in the system to move the fuel. It is plumbed in so that if the manual pump on the engine fails I can use the electric one to supply the engine. All in all I am very pleased with the way it all came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment