Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tank Replacement

Island Queen has two 75 gallon stainless steel tanks for fresh water. The port tank is under the bed in the aft stateroom. It leaked when we bought Queeny and we fixed it right away. It was easy to get to and didn't provide much of a problem. The one on the starboard side began leaking and so it was time to pull it out. It was a lot more trouble to get to. It was built into the cabinetry or should I say the cabinetry was built around the tank. I had to cut the front of the cabinet out and part of the bulkhead between the cabin and the storage hold to be able to get it out. I ordered a new plastic tank to replace the stainless one as it was beyond repair. It will took 3 weeks to get the new one so we lived off one tank until the new one came in.
The new tank was a little smaller in capacity, 63 gallons instead of 75. I was able to get it a little taller than the old one so that made it shorter in length which allowed for a new storage place that we did not have before. I was able to buy a teak louvered door secondhand for $10. I stained it to match the existing drawers. I think it turned out really good. I still have a little bit of trim work to do to cover up where I had to cut the cabinet, but all in all I am happy with it.












No comments:

Post a Comment